Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Spicy Saison w/ Saaz - Low ABV continued.


Saison is one of my favorite styles to drink, simply because very few are alike. Not that this is a catch all style but it does lend to interpretation. American Breweries have really took this style up a notch in the past few years. Lately I have been really enjoying New Holland's "Golden Cap Saison". It has a great tart finish that makes it extra quaffable. As much as I love that Saison, I decided to take this batch in an all together different direction.


I am going for a spicy, hoppy ale with a dry finish and low ABV. Saaz additions throughout, with a TOUCH of Grains Of Paradise at knock out. The Grains Of Paradise combined with the French Saison yeast should give it a great peppery aroma and flavor. Belgian Pils malt with White Wheat, Dark Wheat and Dark Munich for the grist. I am spiking the mash with 2 oz of black malt for color during sparge. There will be a dry hopping during the last day of fermentation into the short conditioning phase.

PG: 1.042
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010 (going for 1.005)
ABV: 5%
IBU: 30
SRM: 9.6
EFF: 85%
BOIL: 70 min

Belgian Pils 5lb
White Wheat 2lb
Dark Wheat 1lb
Dark Munich 1lb
Black Malt 2 oz (on grain bed during sparge)


Rest at 125F for 15 min, Rest at 149F for 30 min, Rest at 156F for 15 min

All Saaz

28g First Wort Hops
7g 30 min
7g 10 min
14g Knockout
28 G Dry Hop after high krausen

3g Grains of Paradise Knockout

Ferment at ambient temperature. I am not temp controlling this.

3 comments:

Dank brewer said...

Sounds tasty man. Huge fan of Saison's as well! That mash schedule is awesome! How'd that turn out with the darker grains, mainly for color I guess? Cheers.

Nick

Beer Made Clear said...

Stephen,

Trolling b/c I'm brewing a "hoppy French saison" and I'm curious about this recipe....did you really only add 2 oz of hops throughout? One in the boil and one for dry hopping, was all? Also was it 3711 you used? Just picked up my first pack and I'm very excited to use it.

-Mike

Slovak Brewer said...

Dank: yes color. Cheers! BMC: 1 oz FW will attribute some bitterness as well.