Friday, January 23, 2009

Finally, MAIBOCK!

"The maibock style is a pale version of a traditional bock. It is a fairly recent development compared to other styles of bock beers, frequently associated with springtime and the month of May. Alcohol content ranges from 6.3% to 7.4% by volume. The flavor is typically less malty than a traditional bock, and may be drier, hoppier, and more bitter, but still with a relatively low hop flavor, with a mild spicy or peppery quality from the hops or alcohol content. It is a clear lager, deep gold to light amber in color, with a large, creamy, persistent white head, and moderate to moderately high carbonation. There is some dispute as to whether the Helles ("pale") bock and the Mai ("May") bocks are the same style, but they are generally agreed to be the same. Examples include Hubertus Bock, Einbecker Mai-Urbock, Augustiner Hellerbock, Hofbräu Maibock, Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock and Abita Mardi Gras Bock." - from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock

We have had a nice break from the otherwise crap winter, so I am sneaking in a brew day today. I have been looking forward to this one for some time as it is my favorite style of lager beer. Malt forward, dry, with barely noticeable hop present. This one is great for spring nights when its just warm enough to be out on the deck in a hoody and jeans.

Fresh's Maibock

6 Gal
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017
(however I am hoping to get a bit more attenuated as per my taste. Most of my beers finish drier than the recipe I write)

12 lbs German Pilsner Malt
5 lbs Dark Munich Malt

1/2 oz. Magnum Hops at 90 min

Mash at 130F for 30 minutes, raise to 156F for 60. I used 30% Chicago water and 70% Distilled to soften my local water.

Pitch LARGE starter of Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager at 55F. Over 2 week dial down to 45F. After primary raise to 65 for diactyl rest for 2 days. Rack to secondary. Lager 2 months at 35F. (I am considering rekrausening this beer with fresh yeast and sugar. I am going to research this more before I decide.. or I may just keg it)

No comments: