Sunday, February 8, 2009

Belgian Abbey Dubbel


This is my second attempt at Belgian Dubbel style. Early on in my home brewing career I attempted this style and went about it all wrong, rushed it to the bottle and it was not a very pleasant drinking experience. My first and only drain pour. This is my personal favorite Belgian style. Selina and I spent a weekend of our honeymoon in Brussels, visiting breweries and sampling as much of the beer culture we could. I prefer them to be dry and "digestible" as opposed to super malty or sweet. I created this recipe after reading "brew like a Monk" by Stan Hieronymus, using his tips to create more of a traditional abbey style dubbel.








5gal

OG 1.064

FG 1.011

ABV: 7%

EFF: 70%

12lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
1lb Dark Belgian Candy Syrup
8oz Special B
8oz White Sugar

Protein rest 130F 15 minutes, sac rest 149F 60 minutes, sparge 170F

90 minute boil

1oz Hallertau at 90 minutes

Large starter of Wyeast 1762
Ferment at 65F 10 days, let temp rise after third day
Condition at lager temp 1 month
Prime with fresh yeast and sugar.

No comments: