Friday, February 13, 2009

So It Begins..
















The biggest of the kettles is 10 gallons, then 5 gallons and 2 gallon. The largest is for my boil and the 5 gallon heats sparge water. The manifold is placed face down in my mash tun, which is pre heated using water from the mini kettle. After 5 minutes the water from the preheated tun is moved to the hot liquor tank so that it too is preheated. I then put the grain in the tun, which is backwards, most people "dough in" to water with grain. It's easier for me to infuse to my protein rest with the grain already in the tun. I use a stiff 1 qt/lb ratio. Once to 130F I let it rest 15-30 minutes and then raise it to saccrification temp of 149.

The grain bill is 12lbs Belgian Pilsner and 1/2 lb Special B. Which Dingemans, the Belgian Maltster describes as...

Special B (140° - 155° L)
The darkest of the Belgian crystal malts, Dingemans Special B will impart a heavy caramel taste and is often credited with the raisin-like flavors of some Belgian Abbey ales. Larger percentages (greater than 5%) will contribute a dark brown-black color and fuller body.


... i am using 4%. I will get more flavor, color and ferment ability from D2 Belgian Syrup. I will get added zip from 1/2 lb of plain white sugar. This will be added into the boil. I will add the sugar in the last 15 minutes but I am still undecided on the Candi Syrup. I don't know if it goes in at flame out or in the beginning of the boil.. hrrrmm

No comments: